Munich attack: what we know – and what we don’t know


Ten people were killed – one of whom appears to be the gunman – and at least 10 injured in a shooting at a shopping centre in the Bavarian capital.

What we know so far

  • Ten people have been killed – including the gunman – and at least 16 injured in a shooting at a shopping mall in the German city of Munich.
  • The gunman has been identified as an 18-year-old with dual German and Iranian nationality, who had been living in Germany for at least the past two years.
  • Police have referred to the incident as a suspected terror attack.
  • A major police operation, including elite anti-terror units, was launched in the city. Police earlier said that, based on witness reports, they were hunting up to three suspects armed with rifles who may have been involved in shootings at multiple locations.
  • Later in the evening, police issued a statement giving a “cautious all-clear” over the incident, saying they had found one person in connection who took their own life. There is a “high probability” that that person acted alone, officers said.
  • At 5.52pm gunshots were fired at a McDonald’s near the Olympia shopping centre (OEZ) in the northern Moosach area of the Bavarian capital.
  • Nine people were killed at the shopping centre, according to police. Police said a body, found about 1 km (0.6 miles) from the scene, was found to be that of the attacker.
  • Luan Zequiri, a witness who was near the restaurant at the time of the initial shooting, told broadcaster n-tv that he saw only one attacker, wearing boots and a backpack, who shouted “an anti-foreigner slur”.
  • A video later appears to show a gunman firing a pistol on the rooftop car park of the shopping centre and engaging in a furious shouting match with a bystander, during which he said “I am German!”
  • Police have said all customers have now been evacuated from the shopping centre.
  • The German government has set up a crisis response committee and the interior minister, Thomas de Maizière, currently on a visit to the US, is returning home.
  • Chancellor Angela Merkel will convene her security council, made up of senior ministers, on Saturday in Berlin, her chief of staff, Peter Altmaier, said.
  • Residents were warned via Munich’s smartphone warning system to avoid public places, stay in their homes where possible, and turn on the TV and radio.
  • Munich central station was closed and evacuated and the underground system and bus network were also suspended. But police said later the city’s transport network had been re-opened.
  • Hospitals throughout Munich are on emergency alert and in “catastrophe mode”.

What we don’t know

  • No claim of responsibility has been made and there is no indication so far of the motives of the attacker. Police have said they cannot confirm any Islamist link.
  • No one has so far been arrested.
  • Police have said they could not confirm earlier reports of possible other shootings elsewhere in the city, including in a large square known locally as Stachus.
  • It is not yet clear whether the shootings, described as a “rampage” by police, amounted to a coordinated or planned attack.

Source: www.theguardian.com

Be the first to comment at "Munich attack: what we know – and what we don’t know"

Write your comment

Your email will not be published


*