Yemen says no to talks before setting deadline


Deputy Prime Minister Abdul Malik al-Mekhlafi of Yemen’s internationally recognized government on Tuesday said there will be “no going back” to peace talks if there were no “guarantees” and a timetable, Al Arabiya News Channel reported.

The UN-backed talks between Iran-backed Houthi militia group, who has seized control of large parts of Yemen, and President Abedrabbu Mansour Hadi’s government began in Kuwait their peace talks on April 21.

Mekhlafi, who is also Yemen’s foreign minister, was heading the government’s delegation.

Mekhlafi also reiterated the Yemeni government’s spokesman Rajih Badi emphasis to resume peace talks only if there were guarantees, deadline and accepting “legitimacy” of Hadi’s government.

Despite a Saudi-led military intervention launched last year in support of Hadi’s government, the Houthi militias and their allies remain in control of many key areas territory, including the capital Sanaa.

The UN estimates that the Yemeni conflict has killed more than 6,400 people and displaced 2.8 million since March last year.

Source: english.alarabiya.net

Be the first to comment at "Yemen says no to talks before setting deadline"

Write your comment

Your email will not be published


*