The Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR) has published its weekly report monitoring Israeli violations in the Occupied Palestinian Territories for the past week (25-31 August 2016).
Israeli forces have continued to commit crimes, inflicting civilian casualties. They have also continued to use excessive force against Palestinian civilians participating in peaceful protests in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, the majority of whom were youngsters. During the reporting period, Israeli forces killed a Palestinian civilian suffering from a mental disorder and wounded 3 others, 2 of them in the West Bank and the 3rd in the Gaza Strip. In the Gaza Strip, Israeli forces continued to target Palestinian fishermen and chase them in the sea.
In the West Bank, on 26 August 2016, in excessive use of lethal force, Israeli forces killed Eyad Hamed (38), who suffers from a mental disorder, at the western entrance to Silwad village, northeast of Ramallah. Israeli media reported that Israeli forces opened fire at a Palestinian who ran towards them and refused to stop when he was asked to, therefore, they suspected him and opened fire at him.
On the same day, 2 Palestinian civilians sustained bullet wounds to the lower limbs when Israeli forces moved into al-Dheisha refugee camp, south of Bethlehem, to carry out arrests, during which dozens of youngsters gathered and threw stones and Molotov Cocktails at Israeli soldiers. Therefore, Israeli soldiers opened fire in response, due to which 2 Palestinian civilians were wounded and then taken to hospitals by private cars because ambulances were banned by Israeli forces from reaching the wounded.
Other violationns include:
– 41 civilians, including 10 children, a mother and her daughter, were arrested.
– 10 of them, including 5 children, were arrested in occupied Jerusalem.
Israeli forces continued to impose collective punishment measures against Palestinian civilians.
– A house belonging to Amayrah family in Doura, south of the West Bank, was bombed.
Israeli forces continued their efforts to create Jewish majority in occupied East Jerusalem.
– 6 dwellings and 2 livestock barns in al-Ma’azai community, east of Jaba’ village, north of Jerusalem, were demolished.
– A house in Sour Baher village and 2 other under-construction houses in Silwan village, south of the city, were demolished.
Israeli forces continued to target Palestinian fishermen in the Gaza Strip Sea
– A Palestinian fisherman was wounded, 5 others were arrested, 2 fishing boats were confiscated and a third was damaged.
Israeli forces turned the West Bank into cantons and continued to impose the illegal closure on the Gaza Strip for the 9th year.
– Dozens of temporary checkpoints were established in the West Bank and others were re-established to obstruct the movement of Palestinian civilians.
– 8 Palestinian civilians, including a woman, were arrested at military checkpoints.