Terror attack in Istanbul


Nearly two dozen victims were injured late Saturday in a car bomb attack near a football stadium in the Besiktas district of Istanbul.

“Approximately 20 injured in car bomb attack that happened where our riot police officers had been stationed,” Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu told journalists. “Hopefully, there will be no lost lives.”

Soylu also told reporters after he arrived in Istanbul that there were two blasts. One was considered a suicide bomb and the other was a car bomb.

Injured police officers have been rushed to area hospitals but information about the extent of injuries were not immediately available.

The explosion occurred after a Turkish league match between Besiktas and Bursaspor at the Vodafone Arena.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim has been briefed by Gov. Vasip Sahin and Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu about the explosion, according to Prime Ministry sources who cannot be named due to restrictions on talking to media.

Nihat Yildiz, who saw the blast, told Anadolu Agency he heard two explosions within one minute of each other.

“We saw a huge flame along with the blast. The windows of the restaurant broke into pieces with the pressure of the explosion. Then we heard gunfire for two minutes,” he said.

Another witness, Abdullah Cavus, a Bursaspor fan, said the blast happened right after buses carrying fans moved from the scene.

Source: Anadolu Agency

Be the first to comment at "Terror attack in Istanbul"

Write your comment

Your email will not be published


*