Aussie kidnapped in Yemen freed now


Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has confirmed an Australian kidnapped in Yemen last October has been released “safe and well”.

Ms Bishop’s confirmation comes after Omani authorities reported on Wednesday an Australian citizen in Yemen had been located after mediation with local tribes and that he had been transferred to Oman before returning to Australia.

The Foreign Minister confirmed the man’s release had been thanks to the help of Omani authorities.

“The release follows months of patient work by the Australian Government,” Ms Bishop said in a statement.

“I particularly thank His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al-Said, the Sultan of Oman, for Oman’s work to locate and receive the Australian national into Oman.”

The ABC understands the freed man is Craig McAllister, an Australian soccer coach who was taken hostage in the Yemeni capital Sanaa last September.

He said in a hostage video released in October he had been working in Yemen as a football coach.

Ms Bishop’s office said the Government would not make any further comment on the case.

“The family has asked for privacy, and I ask others to respect their wishes,” her statement said.

Source: abc.net.au

Be the first to comment at "Aussie kidnapped in Yemen freed now"

Write your comment

Your email will not be published


*